Clean out your bookcase!

 


Today (February 20th) is Clean out your bookcase day! Ahhh, the bookcase! The staple part of a bibliophiles furniture and home to many a literature classic! I have 2 bookcases, one of which contains all of my TBR pile (three shelves, two book rows deep!) and one in my living room, which only has one shelf of books on as the others are filled with photographs and board games. I love my book shelves and have often found myself suffering with bookshelf envy!

During covid, I became obsessed with looking at peoples bookshelves during videocalls and watching video call interviews on television. I laughed at messy ones, became in awe of massive ones with loads of titles, and even got cross at ones covered in plants which hung over the book titles! (That was actually this morning!!)

Bookshelves have actually been around for centuries.....The Romans had them in the very first libraries and Imperial China referred invented the revolving bookcase under the leadership of Fu XI in 544, which they called the zhuanluntang. 

But what is the point of having a day for cleaning it out?

Well, I am using it as an oppurtunity to sort out the books I have and see if there are any that I really don't want to read now and to put forward ones that I have had in there a while and haven't read yet. These books will be passed on to others through my book giving scheme https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100077489097988 

I intend giving it a good wipe down too, get the dust off and have a good tidy up! 

When was the last time you cleaned out your bookcase??

Comments

Popular Posts