Iris
I decided to look at another writing prompt for today's post and was inspired to write something using words from a famous letter. I was drawn to a letter from Claude Monet to his wife, written in 1901 as he was staying in London. The words I saw in the letter I have used in the first line of my little story, which I have based on Monet's garden. He was apparently fond of Irises, so I have written from the perspective of an Iris underneath his window in Giverny............
Iris
Today, the sun did not show itself and that really bothered me.
I had been waiting all day for the opportunity to raise my head and feel the warmth of its' rays on my face, but alas - no such luck!
Don't misunderstand me, I enjoy the refreshing force of a springtime shower - I actually thrive on being drenched in a downpour! But the sun....oh how I miss it when I haven't seen it for a few days!
It felt like an absolute age stood looking upwards, desperately searching the sky for a glimpse of that yellow ball of energy. I tried to busy myself by looking up at the nearby window to see if Claude was around today, but he must be away. I watched the trees gently swaying with the early spring breeze to pass the time, stood amongst the purple blanket surrounding me, which was starting to burst into more vibrant colour.
If only that sun would appear to encourage everything to be at their full potential. Oh to reach that! I can but dream....I am merely at the first point of my budding career! Then, as if by magic, darkness fell and I was left looking up at the clearing skies, shimmering with stars and bathing us all in moonlight.
I will rest in hope that tomorrow will bring a sunnier prospect.
copyright Clair Maskell 2025
Comments
Post a Comment