Contemplation
As the end of the year approaches, many of us find ourselves thinking about the year that has gone by.
I know over the last couple of days, I have been often finding myself contemplating not only the last year, but years gone by too! Life has been pretty full on of late, what with working in a school and the build up to Christmas. So much is happening within family life too, with several family members and friends suffering ill health. It often ends up so demoralising and in so many ways, you just want the world to stop and slow down a little, so you can appreciate the little things. I have also had some positive news on the author front, with the possibility of something happening in that domain, but again I have been so swept up in other aspects of life, it has fallen on the wayside a little.
I guess that is what life does to us. It makes us stop and think and in many ways shows us the signs to encourage us to slow down a little. Part of my contemplation has led to me feeling that I haven't done enough......I could have done more to be there for a friend, to listen more closely to a colleague, to try harder to be an advocate for those who need it, to spend more time with the people I care the most about when they really need support. I suppose we all could do better when we truly think about it.
Life teaches us to prioritise, but we often do not think of ourselves within this. I have been learning more and more about mindfulness and mental health over the last year and have become quite passionate about it. I believe it is showing in the way I am trying to put myself first more often. Not all of the time, as I feel you can become too self centred, but recognising when it is time to do so and give myself time to look after number 1 a bit! Those who know me well know that I am a highly emotional person (it doesn't take much to make me cry!) but being more mindful and changing my mindset has led to me crying less, especially when dealing with high stress situations.
Life teaches us to love. Not just those around us within our family circles, but our friends, our work colleagues and those whom we meet on our paths as the year rolls by. Falling in love with nature, the world around us and to feel connected to our surroundings. To love what we do, as much as possible, and learn to be passionate about things which mean something to us.
Life teaches us to learn. Boy have I learnt so much this year! I even stumbled across my certificates from all the training I have done since secondary school and I sat in awe of just how many training courses and seminars I had attended and how many qualifications I have achieved (yet getting higher than a D in GCSE maths is beyond me - I have tried twice!!) I have recently completed a Level 2 qualification in Mental Health first aid in the workplace, which I really hope will help boost what I can do for others. I have come so far and know I am capable of so much if I really put my mind to it. I am going to spur myself on with writing too to prove it!
Life teaches us to appreciate. Gratitude is high on my priorities recently. It doesn't take much to stop at the end of the day and think of 3 things your grateful for. Showing appreciation to others too does not take much and doesn't have to be expensive. A simple "thankyou" can go a long way and can really boost a persons confidence and happiness. I have found myself appreciating more moments over the last year...the way I felt at a concert, the feeling of being home that I get when in the theatre, the feeling I get hearing how wonderful my children are doing at school or how kind they have been to someone else or simply just the taste of a cool drink on a really warm day.
Most of all, I guess Life is teaching us to live.
Live for yourself. Live for the moments that can pass by all to fast.
Live for those who love you, let them know how much you mean to them.
Comments
Post a Comment