All about the Lost Bear

 October is a significant month for many.

It is Black History month, selective mutism awareness month, ADHD awareness month, National book month and also the month where we think about baby loss awareness week. I feel compelled to tell my stories about the books that I have published inspired by two of these areas. I want to start with The Lost Bear, especially as it's significance is most strong within the next few days.

11 years ago, a lovely ex colleague friend of mine and her husband had to say goodbye to their beautiful daughter Kiera Nicole, who was born sleeping. I could never ever begin to understand how deeply devastating it was for them and how that pain is still so deep to this day. It was truly heart breaking. 

Another ex work colleague held a fundraiser for them both a while later to help them on their IVF journey, to which I donated a book as a raffle prize. It didn't feel like enough, but it was all I could do to show them my support at the time. A couple of years later, they were blessed with their rainbow baby boy. 

One day, a thought came to me whilst watching my daughter playing with bubbles in the garden - What if those bubbles could lift you away on a magical journey? Bubbles contain hints of rainbow colours within them which immediately made me think of that wonderful couple and their son, Sebastian.

I had recently seen some family photos of them posted on social media with the beautiful white bear they have which has great significance to them, and all of a sudden, the words started to flow. The story was originally titled "The boy in the bubble", but as I wrote more, I wanted the story to evolve around the beautiful bear lost in Rainbowland where only Sebastian could see and talk to her. Travelling by bubble, he meets the lost bear and promises to keep her as part of his family back home.

My thought process was to portray that babies born sleeping are a huge part of a family and will always remain as such. They may be lost in body, but their spirit and energy always remains.

The story sat for several years in my notebook (where others remain to this day!) until one day, I decided to take the plunge after the successful publishing of my other books and asked an old school friend whether she would illustrate the story for me. Katie Everett is an extremely talented artist and having stories of her own connected to baby loss, was happy to help.

So, in 2020 after a year of hard work on Katie's part, The Lost Bear was published, with proceeds going to baby loss charities. I have to be honest, it is one of my favourite of my books simply for the illustrations. The way Katie brought Sebastian's character alive in her illustration and the attention to detail still has me in awe to this day. I am forever grateful for her amazing input and help in bringing my story to life.

So, that is the story of The Lost Bear, available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Bear-Clair-Maskell/dp/B08K4K31RZ


In loving memory of Keira Nicole                                  Fly High 



Comments

Popular Posts