How I found my love of reading

 

A discussion whilst at work recently led to conversations about teachers and those we remember from our childhood. This led me to reminisce about one particular teacher who inspired me to read a series of books which I grew to love as a child.

My primary school life wasn't an easy ride. I was bullied from very early on and too scared to tell anyone about it. In fact, by some of the teachers I was seen as the problem "bringing playground troubles into the classroom". It still hurts to think about it now.

There was one teacher, however, who made me feel like I wasn't a "problem". Mrs Wakefield. 

Oh...she was so different from any other teacher I had ever had before! I remember her long, dark brown hair and how she dressed in beautiful long skirts. I called her outfits "Hippy style". She had a passion for nature and conservation and I loved story times with her. Her classroom was a safe space and was where I was introduced to Anthony Masters and his "Green Watch" series. 

I loved how the characters were trying to help animals and make a difference and Mrs Wakefield read it with such passion.....I was hooked! I remember collecting the whole series to read at home and getting so excited when I was able to read the latest one! 

It wasn't just the stories which had me captivated, it was the way it was read to me. It was although she was reading it to just me, not the whole class. I hung on her every word. I must have been 9-10 years old and that story telling not only helped me to begin a love of books, but it has shaped how I read to children myself. 

I love reading to children. I must admit, when I get asked to read to the class or a small group of children, I get a buzz! To see the children engaged in a story, wanting to know what happens next or eager to hear you "do voices" is something I never cease to enjoy. Maybe it was what Mrs Wakefield felt like all those years ago in Brighton, reading Anthony Masters books to her class.


Thankyou Mrs Wakefield, wherever you are!

Comments

Popular Posts